Temporary Work Permit in Canada

Each year, more than 300,000 foreign workers are invited to work in Canada on Temporary Work Permits in Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document provided by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) authorizing the employers in Canada to hire foreign workers. The process of obtaining an LMIA requires 4-6 months.

Employer Specific Work Permit

The Canadian employer needs to get a positive LMIA approval from the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to hire any foreign candidate for the specific job.  The ESDC will assess and grant a positive LMIA if it is satisfied that there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident who would be available to do the particular job.

Open Work Permit (LMIA Exempt)

The open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific. An open work permit can be issued to a foreign national only under the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemptions.

Eligibility for an open work permit

  • are a young worker participating in special programs
  • are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and want to apply for Post Graduate Program
  • applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • are the spouse of a skilled worker or international student
  • are the spouse of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • are a temporary resident permit holder
  • IELTS score band of minimum 5.0
  • Minimum Secondary Education
  • Minimum one year of experience in any job specified in NOC list.
  • Proof to show you can bear your expenses

Study Permit

If you intend to study at a Canadian educational institution, most foreign nationals must apply for a study permit. There are special rules for minor children studying in Canada. A study permit once issued allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program.
Schools that teach students up to the grade 12 level are known as primary and secondary schools. Primary is usually till grades 1-8 and secondary usually means grades 9-12.
All primary and secondary schools in Canada can enroll international students.

To be eligible to study in Canada:

  • You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees;
  • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada; and
  • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Eligibility Criteria for Canada Tourist Visa

In order to meet the eligibility criteria for a tourist visa, you will need to prove to the immigration authorities the following things:
  • You have a valid passport
  • A letter of invitation from the person inviting you to come to Canada for your visit to Canada
  • Proof that you will be staying in Canada only on a temporary basis.
  • Proof of Funding. If you are visiting Canada, you must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who will be with you while you are in Canada.